When to Call a Utah Accident Attorney
Why do you need an accident attorney? There are literally millions of accidents that occur in the U.S. every single year. Hundreds of thousands of them result in serious injuries and tens of thousands resulting in fatalities. By definition, an accident is an event that is unintended and usually unforeseen. The sad truth is many accidents were not at all unpreventable.
While accidents can happen anywhere and for a wide variety of reasons, a large percentage of accident-related injuries occur in one of two places, in the car or in the workplace.
Across the nation, there were 2.3 million car accident injuries in 2014 and over 32,000 fatalities. The impacts of these accidents on victims and their families are often life-changing even when they are not life-ending.
Very often, car accidents are caused by irresponsible driving habits such as these four:
- Distracted Driving: This is the number one cause of car accidents. It is often a matter of talking on the phone, texting, or eating food while driving.
- Speeding: Driving at excessive speeds or too fast for conditions greatly slows down reaction time and reduces driver control over the vehicle.
- Reckless Driving: Aside from speeding, tailgating, running red lights, and sudden erratic lane changes also causes many accidents.
- Drunk/Drugged Driving: Alcohol or intoxicating drugs destroy one’s ability to properly focus and operate a motor vehicle in a safe manner.
A second situation where negligence leads to accidents and injuries is in the workplace. Certain industries, such as construction, transportation, and manufacturing, have unusually high numbers of injuries/fatalities, but any work environment can become dangerous if employers are not consistently “safety conscious.”
Some of the most common causes of workplace injuries are:
- Slip and Fall Accidents: Around 300,000 slip and fall accidents occur each year. Over 16,000 of them are fatalities. Only car accidents cause more deaths.
- Lifting and Carrying: Serious back injuries often result from overstraining and poor lifting posture.
- Electrocution: Faulty wiring, unsafe repair methods, or contact with water causes the injury/death of many construction workers.
- Harmful Substances: Contact with dangerous chemicals or hazardous waste can cause severe burns or respiratory disorders.
If you have been injured in an auto, workplace, or other accident in Utah, a skilled accident attorney at ECKO Legal can help you win your claim. Call (801) 845-9866 for a free consultation, and an experienced accident attorney with deep knowledge of Utah injury law will assist you.