Receiving Compensation for Damages in Wrongful Death Suit
If someone you love passed away due to wrongful death, you know the heartache of loss. You also know the struggles that navigating the court system can cause. When you’re trying to receive compensation for damages in a wrongful death suit in Utah, a wrongful death lawyer can help you get the compensation you deserve in a reasonable amount of time. Many things go into the amount of compensation you’ll receive and the time it will take to get it.
Types of Damages
Wrongful deaths can happen in a number of situations. When your wrongful death lawyer starts to figure out what types of damages you may be entitled to, he or she will consider a number of different things. Some of these factors include:
- Did you incur funeral expenses or burial costs?
- Did you have to pay for costly medical expenses before the death occurred?
- If you had to pay medical costs, how much of those costs were related to the incident that ultimately caused the death?
- Did you lose companionship, care, or guidance when your loved one passed away?
- How much can you be compensated for pain, suffering, and emotional damage?
- How much did the deceased lose in wages before the death occurred (related to the incident), and what is the value of the future wages and benefits he or she would have received had the wrongful death not occurred?
- What punitive damages are you entitled to?
These are all questions with complex legal answers, and your wrongful death lawyer will have to use his or her knowledge of the intricacies of the legal system in order to let you know what kind of compensation you’re entitled to under the law. Then, he or she will vigorously defend your right to that compensation in court.
The second most common question surrounding wrongful death cases is “How long will it take to receive damages?” As with most legal cases it depends entirely on the case. If it’s clearly a wrongful death, and the court has no trouble agreeing, you could see your check within a few weeks or months. However, lengthy trials often mean a delay in payout.
Your wrongful death lawyer will fight for your best interests in court, and will ensure that you get the highest payout in the shortest amount of time. If you’ve lost a loved one, you’ve suffered enough. Contact a wrongful death lawyer and make sure you get the compensation you and your family deserve.